UN adds yoga’s Indian philosophy to heritage list
The ancient Indian philosophy behind yoga, the mind-body discipline now practised the world over, on Thursday joined UNESCO’s list of "intangible" world heritage.
The discipline was added to the prestigious list in recognition of its influence on Indian society, "from health and medicine to education and the arts", the World Heritage Committee said in a statement.
"Designed to help individuals build self-realisation, ease any suffering they may be experiencing and allow for a state of liberation, (yoga) is practised by the young and old without discriminating against gender, class or religion," UNESCO added in a tweet.
The list of "intangible" cultural treasures was created 10 years ago, mainly to increase awareness about them, while UNESCO also sometimes offers financial or technical support to countries struggling to protect them.
On Wednesday, the Paris-based UN body meeting in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa added Cuba’s rumba dance and Belgium’s beer culture to the list, which also includes the Mediterranean diet, Peking opera and the Peruvian scissors dance.
UNESCO began compiling a list for cultural and natural world heritage -- physical properties such as Cambodia’s Angkor Wat or the Grand Canyon in the United States -- in 1972.
The list now comprises 814 cultural sites, 203 natural ones and 35 with both natural and cultural qualities such as Australia’s Uluru National Park, formerly known as Ayer’s Rock.
The committee winds up its review of nominations to the list of Representative Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity on Friday.
- IS欲于特朗普就职日在华盛顿发动大规模恐袭 2016/12/09
- 亚马逊开设实体商店，无需排队结账 2016/12/08
- 24节气：关于大雪你不知道的6件事 2016/12/08
- White House reaffirms ’One China’ policy after Trump calls Taiwan leader 2016/12/06
- Forget the Selfie Stick, Coca-Cola Reveals Smart Bottle that can Take a Snap as You Swig 2016/12/05
- 从习近平会见基辛格谈中美两国未来关系发展 2016/12/05
- South Korea’s President Park ’willing to resign’ 2016/11/30
- 希拉里要翻盘？美国威斯康辛州将重启大选计票工作 2016/11/28
- Can China overtake US to lead the world? 2016/11/25
- 习大大致电祝贺川普当选美国总统 听听他说了啥！ 2016/11/10
- 美国大选速递：川普后来居上直取六州领先希拉里 国际市场震荡 2016/11/09
- 不同国家的人眼中的美国大选 2016/11/08
- FBI宣布希拉里“邮件门”无罪！川普的如意算盘落空了 2016/11/08
- More Than 16.9 Billion Meters of Tape Used on Chinese Packages in 2015 2016/11/03
- 特朗普也陷“邮件门”？调查称尚未发现确切证据 2016/11/03
- 习近平会见洪秀柱 强调坚持“九二共识” 就两岸关系提出六点建议 2016/11/02
- 中国恢复联合国合法席位45周年，表示力挺联合国 2016/10/27
- Message on the United Nations Day 2016/10/25
- Presidential debate: ’Nasty woman’ insult embraced by Clinton’s female fans 2016/10/21
- US election 2016: Clinton and Trump face final debate 2016/10/20